canberrabirds

Re: The demise of Harry

To: "John Layton" <>, "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Re: The demise of Harry
From: "John Cummings" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:12:08 +1100

One of the interesting bird tit bits is about the California condor and their re release into the wild

Their wing spread was so large that when they perched on power poles and took of they often touched two wires together with fatal results

A result of this was as they were raised in captivity they were conditioned not to perch on power poles and were not released until this was a habit for them

Last time I was there had been around six or so released and mostly in the Big Sur area

I am not sure if they were released to the tune of ‘Play Mist for Me’ or not

John Cummings
CWC Coordinator NSW & ACT