canberrabirds

COG Weekend in Naas Valley Fri 23- Sun 25 November

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: COG Weekend in Naas Valley Fri 23- Sun 25 November
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:44:30 +1000
Greetings birders:  I am organising a COG weekend staying at Caloola Farm, a rural retreat in the Naas Valley around 45 minutes south of Canberra  (2 nights farmhouse acccommodation commencing from Friday evening 23 Nov).  Details were advertised in October Gang-gang.

So far there has been no interest from members, and Im not sure if its because of the election day on that weekend or if people have already made other arrangements to escape town!!  Anyway, this is an opportunity to make a pre-poll, escape the election hype and have a relaxing weekend not too far out of town.  Please email me, or phone me over the weekend if you are interested (afternoons or evenings are best - I will be out blitzing at Mulligans Flat and Gooroo in the mornings this weekend).

At the head of the Naas Valley, the property borders Namadgi National Park, with areas of grassy woodland and dry forest.  There is a good diversity of birds in this area, including species becoming scarce closer to Canberra, like Brown Treecreeper, Hooded Robin and Diamond Firetail.  When we were there four years ago, we even got a Painted Honeyeater!!   There will be opportunities for walks on the property and into the national park, and for relaxing on the verandah over a glass of wine.  This is a good opportunity to learn about our local woodland and forest birds.

We have booked a comfortable farmhouse with several bedrooms; group size will be 10-12 max, shared rooms with a mix of single and bunk beds; the cottage has good facilities including bathroom.  Accommodation cost $30 a head for the two nights. You bring your own food, linen and towels.  We expect to organise communal dinner meals, with everyone bringing a contribution; you bring your own breakfast and lunch supplies.
cheers
Jenny

Jenny Bounds
ph 02 6288 7802