canberrabirds

Purple Swamphen and Duckling

Subject: Purple Swamphen and Duckling
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:44:04 +1000
The Purple Swamphen has in recent years flown from Norfolk Island to the smaller Phillip Island to the South. Local ornithologists and Norfolk Island National Park staff have consistently reported it as a significant predator of the eggs and chicks of seabirds.
Con

Esme Barker and bruce Ramsay wrote:
This morning as I was running around Pt Hut Pond, I disturbed a Purple Swamphen which ran from the shortish grass it had been walking across towards the taller sedge-type growth at the waters edge. I was a bit surprised to see a small form dangling from the Swamphen's bill and it took me a second or two to realise it was a duckling. It was either freshly dead or close to death as it was just flopping and swinging side to side limply as the bird ran for cover and disappeared from view. A quick googling using the terms "purple swamphen" and food found a Museum of Australia Fact Sheet which says, "will also eat ducklings when it can catch them". (None of my limited reference books at home make mention of ducklings as a food source). On Monday at the same spot there was a pair of Australian Wood Ducks with one duckling visible and yesterday the same pair (I assume) was there again, this time with 2 small ducklings. Although I neither saw the Swamphen kill nor devour the duckling and I am unaware of how often this is observed in the ACT (or Australia, for that matter), I think that what I saw was most probably an example of the predatory, carnivorous behaviour mentioned in the Museum Fact Sheet. Bruce