canberrabirds

Help with identifying Ulladulla dove

To: "wallaces" <>
Subject: Help with identifying Ulladulla dove
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:40:41 +1000 (EST)
I'm afraid I can offer no further help.  Having been through HBW now a
dozen times there is nothing that works very well.  The only dove with a
black mask is, as you suggested the Namaqua Dove, but it has a yellow
bill, brown eye and grey back with a more contrasting white belly against
the black mask.  I had a close look at the nitens race of Japanese
Woodpigeon, only to read in the description that it is extinct, although
the non-yellow eyed janthina is extant.  It is the right shape, has the
sheen on the neck and pink feet, so maybe...  I have now idea about
captive populations.

Please let me know if someone more knowledgeable than me has a suggestion.

Regards

Stuart