canberrabirds

White Ibis nesting high in trees?

To: "COG bird discussions" <>
Subject: White Ibis nesting high in trees?
From: "Denis Wilson" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 23:58:07 +1000
I have just joined this list, and have scanned the last 2 months of reports on the website http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/

I drove to Canberra from Robertson, today, and I thought I saw a number of large white birds on nests high in Eucalypt trees (on a hillside) as I went over the large hill where the "old Federal Hwy" and Donnelly's Road are marked (small side roads). This is approx 2 Km north of Macks Reef Road. The nests were on my left as I headed towards Canberra, going down the hill (i.e., over the crest, heading down towards the Yass River, at the bottom of the long hill there).

I was running late for a hospital appointment, so I could not stop and check out the sighting, but I was pretty sure this looked like approx. half  a dozen White Ibis nests. It seemed an odd location to me (no wetlands close by). Has anyone else noticed these nests? Are they White Ibises?

I confirm the comment made by Peter Milburn about good numbers of  White Necked Herons on Rowe's Lagoon, and also quite common this season on moist paddocks in the Southern Highlands.

Denis Wilson
Robertson NSW 2577

Love to Grow: Grow to Love