canberrabirds

Introduction and Major Mitchell Cockatoo

Subject: Introduction and Major Mitchell Cockatoo
From: Antony Barry <>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:52:14 +1000
Hi

I've just joined the list. As background I'm a 66 year old retired librarian. I'm not an active bird watcher but since I got a copy of "What bird is that" as a boy in the early 1950s I've always liked to be able to identify the birds I see while I'm walking (usually with my dog) or cycling and keep a copy of "Field guide to the birds of the ACT" to refer to. As I don't go out of my way to find unusual birds I mostly only see common birds which frequent open areas or lakes.

On monday morning I was in Fisher and heard a bird call somewhat between a black (less mournful) and sulphur crested (less strident) cockatoo which attracted my interest. It flew straight over me and I was startled at it's pink colouring.

It's flight was similar to a sulphur crested cockatoo rather than a galah's as was it's size. It was being harassed by a pair of pied currawongs and landed in a tree some distance away. I could see it had a crest but with the sky behind it and without my binoculars I couldn't check the colour. It flew off before I could get close enough to see better.

I've only seen Major Mitchells in zoo aviaries  before and not flying so when I got home I checked Simpson and Day's guide and  they had an illustration of the underside of one in flight which exactly matches the memory of what I saw.

I understand that there have been a few sightings recently.

I pass all this on in case it may be of interest.

Cheers

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 |