canberrabirds

Another Australian Hobby in suburbia

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Another Australian Hobby in suburbia
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 22:53:07 +1000
A week or so ago I mentioned seeing an Australian Hobby perched on a street lamp out front of our house at dusk. Just before dark today it was there again. Watched it for 15 minutes as it made frequent circuits of the area, returning to perch on the street standard. But, even through binoculars, we couldn't discern if it had prey. Interestingly, we've seen a hobby making similar forays from the same place on a few other occasions during past springtimes. Wonder if it's the same bird. Somehow we hope so, but will never know.

Oh boy! Sometimes trouble just happens to confront the innocent. Early today, I'm quietly cycling/birding through the Belconnen golf course when I caught glimpse of a dark fowl fossicking in grass next to a fairway. Expectations go into overdrive as I pedaled towards it, visions of a Black-tailed Native-hen dancing in my head. As I closed on it, the stupid domestic chicken broke cover and ran cackling hysterically along the fairway. So, just for fun, I pedaled after it. Then, my egress is intercepted by an angry lady golfer. "You leave that chook alone! Go on, get out of here!" she shrieked.

"It's OK, I'm a birdwatcher," I said, appeasingly.

"Don't be silly!" she snarled. "We have trouble with people riding motorcycles through here."

I pointed out I was riding a bicycle, "See, no motor," I says.

"Don't you get clever with me! Look, I'm going to get one of the men!" she fumed, pounding off towards where some blokes were putting on a green. So, poor, hen-pecked Yours Truly pedals the retreat. I dunno what the aspiring Carrie Webb sprinkled on her breakfast cereal. Vitriol, I suspect, certainly not sugar and spice.

John Layton