canberrabirds

COG visit to Frogmore 13-14 October

To: <>
Subject: COG visit to Frogmore 13-14 October
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:06:54 +1000

For those subscribers who may be interested in this trip but hadn't yet decided, perhaps the following excerpt from yesterday's E-mail will help whet appetites.

If you are interested I can provide further details.

Jack Holland

I have listed below the species that are currently 'doing the rounds' of the block (Frogs' Hole Creek). They are just the tip of the iceberg, but are the ones that are pehaps likely to be of most interest to campout participants.

White-winged Trillers and White-browed Woodswallows - lots of these here at the moment.
Masked Woodswallows - arrived only this morning, in large numbers.
White-browed Babblers - are around every day but are particularly vocal and obvious at the moment, mostly in the top half of the block (ie the paddock you drive through before getting to the house, including the high callitris ridge to the west).
Grey-Crowned Babblers - these have been recorded many times this year (up to 8 birds at a time), all over the block and around the house, but I have not observed them so often since I returned from holidays (15 Sep). I saw two G-cBs building/adding to what I thought was a roosting nest in early June. A few weeks later I saw two copulating near a second, much larger nest. The smaller nest is about 500m from our front gate, located in a smallish E. dealbata on the left-hand side of the track. The larger one is located high up in large E. sideroxylon on the right of the track, about 100m from our front gate. They are both on our neighbours' property, in open paddocks. I haven't had time to investigate signs of breeding, apart from the copulating I witnessed by chance back in June.
Crimson Chats - I have seen small groups of these several times this week, in the top half of the block.
Cockatiels - a small flock of about 8 birds visited on 27 Sep and a few have stayed on. I have seen and heard them every day since, especially a male and female, which are very vocal.
Black-chinned Honeyaters - usually common, but I haven't seen or heard them for a couple of weeks - ditto Striped Honeyeaters.
Blue-faced Honeyeaters - there are usually a few of these around each day, throughout the year.
Little Friarbirds - everywhere.
Superb Parrots - everywhere, sometimes in very large numbers. (At times they fly so low, over and around me, I fear being decapitated).
Hooded Robins - lots around, as usual.

A month after COG's visit last year a pair of Regent Honeyeaters nested a couple of hundred metres from the house. Unfortunately they abandoned the nest after a few days of strong winds. It would be too much to hope that we would have them two years in a row!

I hope the weather is good for the weekend. When it is calm the early mornings and late afternoons are magic, with birds everywhere. I would recommend a slow walk around the paddock through which our entrance track passes. Anywhere between our front gate and the house, including up along the callitris ridge, usually provides plenty of interest - from about 3:30pm onwards.