canberrabirds

Floriade birds

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Floriade birds
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:55:14 +1000
This afternoon, on my second visit to Floriade, among all the pretty flowers, tourists, a human being masquerading as a kangaroo, ice creams and persistently sleeve-tugging little nieces, I checked off fifteen birds within the hustle-bustle of the blooming precincts. Here's the highlights:

A Grey Currawong un-mulching tulips and three White-winged Choughs doing likewise. Australian Hobby overhead until Magpies enforced their no-fly zone. We spotted two Turtle Doves. Willie Wagtail on nest in exotic tree. Two Black-faced Cuckoo-shrieks which little pony-tails insisted upon calling Blue Jays. Pied Currawong attempting to gulp down a drinking straw. I wished it success, probably wouldn't have harmed it judging by some of the remarkable detritus I've found among the regurgitations of currawongs. About thirty Sivereyes, and the few I successfully focused upon appeared to have grey chins, so I believe they were transient birds heading south for the summer.

A nine-year-old, pony-tailed polymath begged my binos because she wanted to show me something. She casually picked a Floriade petunia and demonstrated how reversed binoculars can be employed as an impromptu, botanical magnifying glass. Goodness me and bless my soul! Uncle Jack never knew that.

John Layton