canberrabirds

Platypus: Jerrabomberra wetlands [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Platypus: Jerrabomberra wetlands [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:07:15 +1000
I visited Kelly's this evening from about 5.45pm until after dark.  Highlights
were fantastic views of a platypus swimming near the bridge - best views I've
ever had of a platypus and my first for about 20 years!  I got the impression
that there might have been two animals.  This impression was reinforced when I
was returning over the bridge after dark when there were clearly two animals
swimming in the water, although it was too dark to be certain it was actually
two platypuses, rather than, say, two water rats.

Other highlights were 2 Snipe that flew in, calling, just on dark, and 2 Rufous
Night Herons that flew in to Kelly's, again just on dark.  I failed to see any
crakes or rails.

Other species included 1 Whistling Kite, 1 Black-shouldered Kite, 1 Horsfield's
Bronze-cuckoo.

Regards
Frank Antram