canberrabirds

Unusually large Yellow Rosellas

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Unusually large Yellow Rosellas
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 16:44:43 +1000
Saturday, 8 September, on the Murrumbidgee River,18km east of Wagga Wagga, a pair of Yellow Rosellas Platycercus elgans flaveolus landed in a eucalypt sapling 15m from where I stood. As I lived in the vicinity – which appears to be at the eastern extremity of the Yellow Rosella's range –  for years they're one of the birds of my childhood, so I always enjoy watching them.

As they landed I was surprised by their size which appeared to be at least 15% larger than normal.

The rosellas climbed up the sapling, nonchalantly snipping off dead twigs and letting them fall as I binoed them for 90 seconds before they moved on. Then I took the notebook and copied down my observations, particularly the field marks, while they were still fresh to mind. You see, I nurtured a slight suspicion they might have been hybrids but remained dubious.

Back home, as I checked references, I became convinced I'd seen a pair of ordinary, mature Yellow Rosellas, albeit unusually large specimens. But, I'm left wondering if noticeably larger-than-average individuals are known to occur among birds in the wild. And how likely would it be for two heavyweights of a feather to come together?

John Layton