canberrabirds

Wollogorang-Lake Bathurst (1 Sept 2007)

To: COG <>
Subject: Wollogorang-Lake Bathurst (1 Sept 2007)
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 09:40:06 +1000
On another beautiful morning I headed out on a drive to cover all the northern wetlands. These are: Wet Lagoon, Wollogorang Lagoon, Roses Lagoon, Lake Bathurst & The Morass.

All the above wetlands were either full of water or close to it. Conditions were the best I had seen in several years. There were large numbers of BLACK SWANS on each wetland with many on nests and many others with cygnets in tow. The largest family group I counted included 8 cygnets.

At Wet Lagoon, admittedly my favourite and most accessible wetland, I counted 4 SWAMP HARRIERS, 6 WHITE-NECKED HERONS, 10 WHITE-FACED HERONS, 3 YELLOW-BILLED SPOONBILLS, 1 WHITE IBIS, 14 AUSTRALASIAN SHOVELERS, 1 STRAW-NECKED IBIS and a male MUSK DUCK. I believe the Swamp Harriers were breeding.

Along Wollogorang Rd there were up to 100 LITTLE RAVENS and over 150 STRAW-NECKED IBIS. Along Parkesbourne Rd a pair of WHITE-FRONTED CHATS and 2 BROWN FALCONS. At Roses Lagoon among the many swans were both species of ibis and 6 White-faced Herons. Along Collector Rd near Currawang a single AUSTRALIAN SHELDUCK. I only saw 3 shelducks all morning.

Lake Bathurst had some water but I needed a scope to see anything. The Morass was amazing with the water lapping close to the road. Several exposed grassy islands hosted hundreds of noisy SILVER GULLS and BLACK SWANS. 8 BLACK-WINGED STILTS were feeding close to shore. No sign of any waders or shorebirds. Some 50-100 HOARY-HEADED GREBES were also present among the many GREY TEAL and PACIFIC BLACK DUCK. Also here 6 WHITE-FRONTED CHATS along Lumley Rd.

Cheers

Marnix