canberrabirds

Pinnacle: Red cap R, Yellow Th, L eagle, B falcon, dusky. Tree Martin, s

Subject: Pinnacle: Red cap R, Yellow Th, L eagle, B falcon, dusky. Tree Martin, speckled W, sitellas [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Whitworth, Benjamin - BRS" <>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:27:18 +1000
At the Pinnacle yesterday afternoon.
In the tree plantings (middle reserve): 2 yellow thornbills, 1 red
capped robin female, 1 brown falcon, 2 bronzewings. 7 dusky
woodswallows. Pair of speckled warblers- male fed female multiple times.
5 Tree Martins, 1 yellow faced honeyeater.
In the Stringybark forest: NW corner. 1 Little eagle doing figure 8's
over the forest, presumably trying to scare out some birds. The brown
falcon tried to chase the little eagle. The closest I have seen a
little eagle, it perched right by the path, about 8m away.
3 sitellas, 2 speckled warblers, 5 rainbow lorikeets, 4 black faced
cuckoo shrikes, and on dusk at least 38 dusky woodswallows.
At dusk today I went back and saw 72 dusky woodswallows come in to
roost. Quite amusing to see them all roosting, jammed together. And if
you are thinking 'sure as if', all the dusky woodswallows landed in a
dead tree, which allowed me to count them. A small flock came in later,
so there were almost certainly more. The roost spot is right near the NW
entrance gate to the reserve.
Still plenty of golden whistlers about. A few grey fantails. A pair of
woodducks in a tree hollow being harassed by a pair of galahs.

Species in flower include Hardenbergia, cryptandra, indigofera
australias, a few urn heath, early Nancy, clustered everlasting.

When I was walking to the Pinnacle I saw a brown goshawk being chased by
about 20 dusky woodswallows and 5 magpies- just outside my GBS area,
typical. Had a tawny frogmouth last night though, so I don't always miss
out.

Benj

------IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of
Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF). The information transmitted is for
the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or
legally privileged material. It is your responsibility to check any attachments
for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.

Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure,
dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. The taking
of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission
together with any attachments. If you have received this e-mail as part of a
valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one
advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly. Only e-mail correspondence
which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF
------