canberrabirds

Bird interactions & SBB nest-building & WFHO

To: <>
Subject: Bird interactions & SBB nest-building & WFHO
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:38:49 +1000

This morning while watching and trying to get just a little bit more film of the White-fronted Honeyeater, I noted the following interactions:

Pied Currawong chases Satin Bowerbird
Male Blackbird chases Grey Shrike-thrush
Grey Shrike-thrush chases White-fronted Honeyeater, the GST was singing throughout the period
White-fronted Honeyeater chases Silvereyes (again)

There are so many Satin Bowerbirds about it is hard to count them. There has been at least one all blue one here for the last several weeks. Today I watched one green one carrying a stick about 20 cm long, from my garden over the path and into the middle part of the Melaleuca tree just behind the White-fronted Honeyeater's favourite Grevillea and work it into a small collection of twigs already there. That looks a lot like nest-building to me. I'm not yet ready to decide that is a legitimate nest-building (as it wouldn't surprise me if they like to practice doing this, but it is worth keeping a watch on. Last summer I had an adult bird feeding dy in my garden.