canberrabirds

King parrot vocalisations

To: <>
Subject: King parrot vocalisations
From: "Shaun Bagley" <>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:31:38 +1000
Have been home from work over the last couple of days with the dreaded flu/cold/lurgy, during which I have been listening to the parrot tribe that visit the Strawberry tree (Arbutus) that is outside my bedroom window. Both Rosellas and King Parrots are present at the moment feeding on the last remnants of the white, bell-shaped blossoms.

Because these aren't the only birds in the neighbourhood I did not think twice about obvious calls from other birds mingled in with the parrots various calls. Until this morning, when I went outside and observed a male King Parrot, literally bobbing up and down on a perch, making enough sound as if several birds were chattering away. At first that's what I thought it was since I could distinctly hear calls of both Rosellas being given. Then as I watched him, the bird clearly mimicked both Kookaburras and Yellow-tail Black Cockatoos intermingled with the other calls. I'm sure there were other species calls in there but was intent on verifying the two named species which I was able to do before he took off.

Don't see any references to this in guides/texts I have but am not altogether surprised given records of other parrots and non-parrot species doing the same. Perhaps this is more common than my experience to date?

Cheers

Shaun