canberrabirds

Re: [Birding-Aus] Rockwarbler mimicry

To: "Carol Probets" <>, <>
Subject: Re: [Birding-Aus] Rockwarbler mimicry
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 17:32:46 +1000
I would reply that (having researched mimicry extensively in regard to the Regent Honeyeater's behaviour), Carol's comment is significant. "I find it interesting that both this bird and the bird Ricki heard were mimicking a sound they were actually hearing at the time. I can't remember whether this was also the case when it mimicked the Brown Thornbill, but it's quite possible."

Typically (except for the Regent Honeyeater) birds don't do that. The behaviour described here is similar to that described for the Chorister Robin in Africa. See refs in my Regent Honeyeater articles. Actually it is hard to know if that is really happening from one or two observations. It could have learned the call earlier and just happen to use it at that time. I know very little about the Rockwarbler (having only ever encountered them on one day, several years ago). However when this discussion started, it seemed to me to be a likely mimic candidate. Of course it is an entirely different question as to whether the mimicry was in any way directed towards the model species - which is what is special about the Regent Honeyeater.

This may be related to the strange habit of Thornbills of mimicking butcherbirds and similar when being handled for banding.