canberrabirds

Masked Lapwing chick

To: <>
Subject: Masked Lapwing chick
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:25:08 +1000
For the past 12 days I have been keeping an eye on a Masked Lapwing sitting on a nest within a metre of the pool in the backyard of a house in Percy Crescent Chapman.  Lapwings were calling there this afternoon, and I managed to sneak up and see one runner before it froze on the ground.  I was alerted to this breeding event later than in previous years (described below) as in this case the other parent did not stay nearby on sentry duty, characteristically giving out the alarm as soon as I appeared on the horizon.

There was a similar event in exactly the same place as last year, but about a month later.  However, the timing is very similar to an attempted breeding on the front lawn of this house in 2005, which was either abandoned or predated at a very late stage of incubation.  Lapwings bred on the front lawn successfully in 2004 but eggs did not hatch until the first week of October.  I now expect the parents to move the chick(s) about 200 metres to the nearby horse paddocks as they have done in previous years.

Jack Holland