canberrabirds

White-fronted Honeyeater: response to call playback

To: <>
Subject: White-fronted Honeyeater: response to call playback
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 16:13:50 +1000
Geoffrey Dabb came (again) to visit and photograph my famous little bird during the week and we talked about whether it would respond to playback of its call. He suggested that honeyeaters generally don't respond. About 2 hours ago I had a try, using the BOCA tape of the White-fronted Honeyeater played on my cassette player. Hard to say if there was any response but I suspect not. It flitted around, chased away a Silvereye and appeared to look in the right direction. But it did not call at all in direct response. After many repeats of the bit of tape and then switching it off, it did call a lot, with the toc call. Then stayed sitting quietly for the next 15 minutes or so. But then again, that is hardly any different from any other period of watching it. In the morning I watched it come down to the pond in the neighbour's yard (not visible from the path). It seemed to want to bathe or drink but as it hopped along the edge of the pond a Satin Bowerbird chased it off and it departed over the roof of the house.

Philip Veerman
24 Castley Circuit
KAMBAH   ACT  2902

Phone. 02 - 62314041