canberrabirds

Observation record submission - what is good practice?

To: <>
Subject: Observation record submission - what is good practice?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:14:15 +1000
My opinion is that if you are submitting a list of any one species at a site and time, then you should include ALL species noted at the particular site and time. This is what I attempt to do, and probably mostly succeed. This is so that as much as possible (because it will never be total), all species are recorded at a statistically comparable manner. This is not to say that biases don't exist. If I go somewhere and don't see anything that I find interesting, I usually don't do a data sheet and so none of that data goes into the record. However if I do find something interesting, I usually put in a data sheet. I doubt I am the only one who thinks like that. That choice in itself creates biases towards over recording the rarer species. However when I do, I include everything observed on that visit. The reason is that, not to do so, would, for example give the impression that the Grey Fantail was not at Kambah Pool on the day I saw the Sea-Eagle there. That would distort the statistics on the Grey Fantail. It is the same reason that the GBS instructions says: "At the end of each week, check down the chart to ensure that you do not miss out species."

COG has an incidental record form and that is a very useful way of recognising reality, that often there is just the one-off type of observation. Provided that it is considered separately from the stats on other species, which it is, then that is fine for obtaining data on just that species.