canberrabirds

Hooded Robins and others and a nest

To: <>
Subject: Hooded Robins and others and a nest
From: "Julie Kamprad" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 14:10:37 +1000
I have just seen 3 Hooded Robin 1 male and 2 either juv or female on the Hoskinstown Road about 1.5 kms north of the Foxlow Bridge. At the time they were with a group of Flame Robins. The site has some old eucalypts, open paddocks and boggy ground. The HRs were in the same area on my return trip.
Other birds of interest seen within in 1 km of the site were
15 Common Bronzewing
7 Diamond Firetails (including 3 juv)
3 Grey Teal
2 Shelducks
21 species altogether

Last week I saw 10 Richards Pipit and nesting Yellow-rumped Thornbills at a nearby site near Yandyguinula Creek at the intersection of Hoskinstown & Rossi Rds Today after Geoffrey's comments about nesting behaviour I followed a Y-rT to a nest nearby in a pine tree. There seemed to be 3 birds attending the nest- 2 adults and a juv. There was a young Wedge-tailed Eagle being harangued by Aust. Ravens and other smaller birds about 200m towards Hoskinstown. Later I saw the ravens feeding on a sheep carcass not too far away.

All in all a pleasant couple of hours birding close to home but alas no Major Mitchell's Cockatoo.

Julienne K