canberrabirds

alula and ageing of honeyeaters [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

To: <>
Subject: alula and ageing of honeyeaters [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:08:31 +1000

If only we had a definition of ‘vagrant’ that did not beg the question.  Speaking of Australia as a whole, the ‘Directory’ gives:  ‘fewer than 8 records in total of individual birds or flocks within 10 years, or fewer than 12 records total’.  I have seen no attempted definition of ‘vagrant’ for an Australian locality, except along the lines ‘a species that is found outside its normal range’ (!).

I agree that ‘rare’ is unsatisfactory for this purpose, and political boundaries are just political boundaries.

In the end, there is only the record, however it is interpreted.