canberrabirds

Kingies' stretching routine

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Kingies' stretching routine
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:08:01 +1000
This morning I had a nice close view (sans binos) of three King parrots perched on power cables along the house-block boundary, a male and two females / immatures.

While I watched, the latter two birds underwent a prolonged ('bout three minutes) stretching routine while the male sat doggo. They did  leg stretches and wing stretches, sometimes both simultaneously. They also indulged in quite a bit of ear scratching.

As they stretched, they opened their bills and emitted a low cluck-cluck sound. The bills remained open for about five seconds as the heads and necks shuddered. I wondered if they were yawning, but don't know if birds yawn.

Anyhow, the stretchings (not so much the ear-scratchings) looked so elegant they reminded me of gaily-costumed ballerinas limbering up. Suddenly, the male let out a couple of shrill yelps and the trio exited the power-cable stage.

Then I did a stretch - a stretch of imagination - and wondered if the male might have been the late Sir Robert Helpmann reincarnated as a parrot.

John Layton