canberrabirds

Hooded Plovers and Pied Oystercatchers - some good news from that other

Subject: Hooded Plovers and Pied Oystercatchers - some good news from that other bit of the ACT
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 20:25:29 +1000
Hi
I thought some of you might be interested to know that since we have been successful in reducing fox numbers in Booderee National Park: we are finding Eastern Bristlebirds in all sorts of habitats (including stands of mature bitou bush!), Hooded Plover numbers appear to be increasing, with signs of successful breeding, and Pied Oystercatchers may be increasing. There are also lots more terrestrial animals. We are fortunate in that the park is on a peninsula with a very narrow neck so recruitment is limited and also in that we have cooperative arrangements with adjacent NSW parks in terms of a joined up approach to fox baiting.
Con