canberrabirds

Single observer records

Subject: Single observer records
From: Milburns <>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:51:07 +1000
Single observer records (of anything) should always be regarded with a degree of healthy skepticism. Birds that are obviously in transit are rarely observed again and seldom offer the opportunity to obtain a photograph. I believe that it is important to record and publicise these observations because patterns may become established at some point in the future, particularly because subsequent observers have been alerted to the possibility that a species may be recorded in areas where they have not been reported previously.

I am able to think of no better examples than from the first trip out to Ashmore Reef. I identified 3 Jouanin''s Petrels and one Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel on this trip and this generated heated debate every evening between those who agreed and disagreed. Both of these species have been observed on just about every subsequent trip in October and, with excellent photographs being obtained subsequently,nobody now doubts that these two species are present in Australian waters.

If people have doubts then by all means air them. I believe that is one of the strengths of this type of forum.

Milburn
--
The Milburns
8 Miller Street