canberrabirds

Sunset Cockies over The Rock NSW

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Sunset Cockies over The Rock NSW
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:34:27 +1000
A bit west of COG's area of interest but nonetheless here goes. Yesterday morning, I'm out in the cold, wind and welcome rain helping friends feed sheep near The Rock about 40km south of Wagga Wagga. Judy looks up and says, "Look at the Sunset Cockies!"

I thought she was referring to the neighbours because they seem to work all hours. But no. High overhead were three Major Mitchell's Cockatoos flying north to south. At 4:00pm, while bringing in the milking cow – I volunteered for the job so I could go for a burn on the ag bike – I saw another five "Sunset Cockies" overhead. Ralph and Judy told me they've seen them flying over about thirty times during the past twelve months, but have never seen them come to earth. Apparently, they're called Sunset Cockies because of the pink plumage.

For what it's worth, I've never seen Major Mitchell's Cockatoos further east than Griffith NSW.

John K. Layton