canberrabirds

Winter at Campbell Park

Subject: Winter at Campbell Park
From: Milburns <>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:45:59 +1000
I spent yesterday afternoon birding through Campbell Park up to Mt Majura. This made an interesting contrast to my observations at Mulligan's Flat the day before. Birds were present in much smaller numbers but none-the-less I found more than a dozen MFFs. Unlike Mulligan's Flat every feeding flock included several Grey Fantails and Brown Thornbills. Scarlet Robins and Golden Whistlers were also in every flock. Several flocks included Speckled Warlbers and White-thoated Treecreepers.

In the paddocks to the east were Australian and Little Ravens feeding on sheep carcasses. I noted the presence of very young lambs but the birds were clearly feeding on large carcasses.

I was in the gully at the northern end of Campbell park in the late afternoon (about 16:20) watching a mixed feeding flock in the last rays of sunshine. A flock of Honeyeaters dropped out of the sky and to my amazement each of the 6 or 7 birds that I had clear views of were Black-chinned Honeyeaters. As the flock departed noisily to the south east I counted 14 individuals, all apparently the same species. They behaved essentially as Yellow-faced Honeyeaters do when they are travelling so I moved as quickly as I could along the edge of Campbell Park thinking that they would be reluctant to head across the paddocks. There was no sign of them before dusk however.

Milburn
--
The Milburns
8 Miller Street