canberrabirds

Winter at Mulligan's Flat

Subject: Winter at Mulligan's Flat
From: Milburns <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:38:26 +1000
On awakening to a perfect winter morning with an extra day to do the weekend chores, I dragged myself out to Mulligan's Flat this morning. The birds were mostly silent but there were lots of them in large mixed species feeding flocks. Many of these included large numbers of thornbills and the typical mix of Scarlet Robin in pairs, Golden Whistler, Speckled Warbler, White-throated Treecreeper and all orchestrated by a single White-eared Honeyeater.

In the stringybark woodland the flocks were dominated by Striated Thornbills with a small number of Buff-rumped Thornbills below. Yellow-rumped Thornbills were notably scarce. Once onto the flat proper the situation was reversed with Yellow-rumped outnumbering Buff-rumped Thornbills. One flock in the Black Honeyeater area was foraging on the ground and occupied an area over 100m in length and easily included > 1 000 Yellow-Rumped Thornbills and 100 Buff-rumped Thornbils! Several Golden whistlers were in this area along with a Red-capped Robin.

Some of the flocks included Yellow Thornbills and Southern Whiteface. Brown Thornbills were the least abundant of the group.

In total I recorded 42 species, the surprise being Pied Butcherbird just north of the car park in the area with pine trees. My personal highlight was a mixed flock of Scarlet and Hooded Robins.

I don't recall this intensity of winter avian activity at Mulligan's Flat from numerous previous visits.

Milburn
--
The Milburns
8 Miller Street