canberrabirds

The Access Question

To: <>
Subject: The Access Question
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 20:07:51 +1000

A few points:

1.        I would distinguish between being on land unlawfully and being on land lawfully but behaving ‘suspiciously’.  As an instance of the latter I would put my own experience in photographing Superb Parrots within (them not me) the Belconnen police precinct.  In the latter case (and particularly overseas) it is best to be cautious, and conciliatory, even if the official response is unreasonable.

2.       As to the first (being there unlawfully) we might draw a distinction between ‘government’ and ‘private’ land.  The regulation of access to govt land can be quite complicated.  On the one hand are public parks and, in the ACT, ‘nature parks’.  Walk on these, as you wish.  However, under both Cth and ACT legislation there is provision for ‘posting’ of prohibited areas, where there can be quite heavy penalties for entry.  Apart from that, some specific areas might be subject to prohibitions against unauthorised entry eg railway precincts or closed ‘nature reserves’ (possibly some parts of Jerra flood-plain under current proposals).  Otherwise open areas, very extensive ones,  were temporarily closed after the 2003 fires.

3.       Rural leaseholds are clearly private land that should not, as a general rule, be entered without permission.   While notices such as ‘Trespassers Prosecuted’ cannot mean what they say, since entry is not an offence, they serve notice – like ‘Private Property’ or ‘No Entry’ - that entry could lead to a confrontation .

4.       All this leaves a lot of room for grey areas eg:  (a) public land that is the subject of a licence for some private purpose (eg stock grazing), (b) areas that are strictly ‘private’ but where the owner has no ongoing interest or habitually tolerates entry, (c) access roads that are really public but that a leaseholder wants to treat as ‘closed’ – perhaps because they only serve private land.

5.       For that reason, for myself I have been careful not to give assurances that fellow birdwatchers are free to range over such greyish areas.  This can lead to someone insisting on a non-existent right to go on land.  Also, circumstances can change.  An otherwise relaxed landowner might have their patience exhausted by anti-social behaviour (shooting, vandalism, rubbish-dumping).

6.       In cases where someone’s entry has been challenged it is not always possible to give general advice about whether the challenge was justified or not.  I was once subject to an outrageous claim by a security guard that entry to Campbell Park proper was prohibited.  On the other hand,  the person with paid-for grazing rights at the Newline paddock could - if it came to the point – assert a right to have his sheep graze without interference.

7.       Unfortunately, as the population of Canberra increases, and as more and more fringe land is alienated or pressed into service for some purpose or other and – surely I am right is assuming this – there are more and more paddock-walking bino-toters, expect more stories about the occasional bit of friction here and there.