canberrabirds

Powerful Owl

To: <>
Subject: Powerful Owl
From: "Susan Robertson" <>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:12:37 +1000
Just a few comments in response to Kathy Cook.  I have nothing but respect for the educational broadcasts Ian Taylor gives on ABC666.  He is really good at giving interesting information to the listeners on any number of nature topics.

My problem still remains with the specific information given by the media as to where to find the owl.  Kathy wrote:  "I believe the most important thing is to get the general public interested and excited about having such an unusual and special bird in the middle of the city.  This is likely to have a much greater flow-on effect in terms of conservation etc..."  I wish that were true.  I have heard reports of at least one person throwing sticks at the owl to get it to open its eyes for the camera.  Other people were rude to, or ignored, the Gardens staff when they tried to give instructions.  Others talked in very loud voices right under the roost tree.

I still think that we should err on the side of caution. A useful reference is Birds Australia Information Sheet No 9 "Guidelines on recreational bird watching" adopted by BA Council on 30 May 1999 which may be of interest as a starter for discussion.

Regards,  Susan Robertson