canberrabirds

Thornbill day

To: <>
Subject: Thornbill day
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:27:35 +1000
This morning in my yard I had a flock of Striated Thornbills in my big blue gum tree (2nd obs for this GBS year) and at the same time a pair of Brown Thornbills and some Weebills in surrounding shrubs. In the afternoon in the local little park, which is part of my GBS area, I had at least six Yellow Thornbills, plus the usual little flock of Yellow-rumped Thornbills. Quite a good lot, especially as it is really only the Yellow-rumped Thornbills and Weebills that are there most of the time. Whilst I was standing still admiring the rare opportunity to see Yellow Thornbills from home, in the Casuarinas, one of the Spotted Pardalotes came down to virtually little more than arm's length to look me over for a minute.

Also interesting that the White-plumed Honeyeaters seemed to have settled into my area over the last few weeks. They are taking the role that the Fuscous Honeyeaters usually take here, at late autumn & winter. They have not been a regular at my place before. Some others at COG were suggesting a similar influx of them. It is curious in that the species is so common in other main urban areas but not so much in Canberra. I have not heard their usual territorial call at all, that is probably a seasonal thing rather than locational thing. They only give their alarm call.