canberrabirds

Backyard stump-gazing

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Backyard stump-gazing
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 21:54:14 +1000
On Saturday we sawed down a self-sown Box Elder Acer negundo that was too close to the house. We left a metre-tall stump, 'bout 25cm diameter, which I'll grub out when rain softens the ground.

1000 hours Sunday, we noticed four Silvereyes perched on the stump pecking at exuding sap. Fifteen minutes later there were seven Sivereyes jostling on the sappy surface until a Red Wattlebird zoomed down and sent the little Hi-ho Silvers away. The bully-bird-wattlebird appeared to take no interest in the sap and left shortly thereafter. Within seconds, the Silvereyes returned.

Forsooth, sirs, see seven pseudo sapsucker silvereyes supping in sunshine on seeping silvery sap.

At 1400, while raking leaves, I noticed a Willie Wagtail flitting up and down next to the stump. Close inspection revealed a procession of tiny ants streaming up the stump. Assumedly, Little Willie was partaking a hit of formic acid. I continued raking for fifteen minutes looking up every few moments and, most times, Willie was beside the stump acting like a piebald yo-yo.

1545 hours, when stump was bathed in westering sunshine, we saw a myriad of midges whirling around it. Don't really know if they were midges, but 'midges' sits well 'myriad'. Willie reappeared and, during the ensuing ten minutes, made numerous sorties through the vortex of victuals. Willie gave way to a Magpie Lark that perched and appeared not to touch midges or sap. Peewee was sent packing by a Pied Currawong that pecked sap briefly, then sat and called until I banished the bellowing brute. Later, there were a few damsel / dragonflies hovering around the stump, perhaps they too were preying on midges.

1845 hours, while placing Inkypink, our cat, under house arrest for the evening, I saw Oscar Possum, the resident Brush-tail, licking the stump top. The Bratz say his name is Oscar because that's what the O in Opossum stands for. Yeah, it beats me, too.

Throughout yesterday and today, I saw nary fur, feather or insect near the stump. Probably, because the sap has dried into an uninviting, isabelline crust resembling a week-old spillage of butterscotch ice-cream.

Sayonara

John K. Layton