canberrabirds

Durras weekend

To: <>
Subject: Durras weekend
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 00:11:20 +1000
Very pleasant at the coast on the weekend - sunny blue skies, beautiful temperature, no wind, calm seas.  Fairly quiet birdwise but occasional pockets of activity made Saturdays stroll along a flooded track and thru the forest worthwhile.  Highlight was encountering in the space of about 20 metres a mixed flock of Striated Thornbills, a Yellow Thornbill, Red browed Finches, Spotted Pardalotes, Grey Fantail, Eastern Spinebills, Superb & Variegated Fairy Wrens, Southern Emu Wrens, and White browed Scrubwrens and Silvereyes for good measure.  The Coastal heathland between the bitumen road and the beach was alive with New Holland Honeyeaters and the usual Red and Brush Wattlebirds.  There were a few Yellow faced Honeyeaters heading North.  Offshore, at least a dozen Gannets were making regular and spectacular plunges into the ocean.

Sunday in some Banksias opposite the entrance to the Holiday Park I saw a midsized dark bird which immediately had me recalling David McDonalds excited words as we paddled Jerra Creek last February :  "It's a Drongo"!   Following subsequent reference to Simpson & Day and a couple of other guides I am certain it was a juvenile Spangled Drongo.  Did someone else report one from the coast fairly recently?

Bonus for the weekend was a Rose Robin accompanied by Thornbills in the trees only metres from our van just as we were about to depart for home.

Cheers

Rod

Rod Mackay
Tel.  0407 456 330