canberrabirds

yfhes.

To: canberra ornithological group <>
Subject: yfhes.
From: William Compston <>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:20:32 +1000
I am very pleased that people are getting to think more about the yellow
faced honeyeater migration.  I am mainly now thinking about the yearly
migration of thousands of birds down the Murrumbidgee corridor which had
been happening for some years.  When did that start?  In the papers I have
just read, Chris Davey et al, no mention was made of migration along that
corridor.

Let us go back to 2003.  Three momths after the severe fires, large number
of honeyeaters flew down the Murrumbidgee corridor.  Where did they come
from?  They could not have come from the Brindabellas.  Surely all small
birds in there would have been incinerated.  So they  must have come from
the ranges further away and further to the north. Tumut?

( But, why do the birds expend energy flying south along the Murrumbidgee
corridor anyway, only the to turn east and possible then north?  We and
Muriel Brookfield have seen thousands of birds streaming along an easterly
path at Warragandra homestead on Jerrabatgulla Creek, to the east of Angle
Crossing.)  That is an aside.  I may get on to that later.

Let's get back to the Murrumbidgee.  In 2004 and 2005, thousands of birds
were still observed flying south along the Murrumbidgee corridor. So, in
2003 and 2004 breeding took place, much as usual.  However, last year, 2006
and this year 2007, not so many birds have been observed.

Of course there are not enough observers and they are not in the right
places to see the migrating birds and some people do not report what they
see.  I know that many more observations are needed

The migration back in Spring is not as spectacular as the outward in
Autumn.  Are far fewer birds returning each year?  What would be the reason
for that?  Are the birds usually able to make up the numbers again, but in
2005 and 2006 they have not been able to breed so sucessfully?  the
drought? or is it just that they do not congregate and fly in the large
flocks seen in Autumn?

However, I have now thought of another reason why breeding appears to have
been less successful.  Last year, in October or November, there was a very
heavy frost.  (In Berrima where my friend, Isobel, 94 years old and a great
observer, lives, there was a 'black' frost.)  If birds were alreasdy
nesting this could surely cause losses.

Migration through the suburbs.  From the chat line information, I have the
impression that there were not so many birds on the move through the
northern suburbs this year.  More birds recorded south of the lake.  It has
been great getting information from Lindsay

Comments?

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Compston
8 Wells Gardens