canberrabirds

Farallon Islands pelagic trip - March 2007

To: birding-Aus <>, COG list <>
Subject: Farallon Islands pelagic trip - March 2007
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:56:02 +0930
Pelagic trip to the Farallon Islands with SF Bay Whale Watching & Marine Life Expeditions - 31 March 2007

On 31 March, in company with a bunch of other ethnobiologists attending the 30th Society of Ethnobiology conference at the University of California, Berkeley, I jumped on board the MV Lovely Martha and set out from Fort Mason in San Francisco Bay and we headed for the Farallon Islands, 27 miles offshore. For more information on Los Farallones have a look at: http://losfarallones.blogspot.com/ and: http://farallones.noaa.gov/.

Lots of birds were seen as we motored through the Bay and before we went under the Golden Gate bridge and reached open water. As the sea was considered rough (for anyone who has been on a Wollongong pelagic on the Sandra K in rough weather this was mild in the extreme - 'choppy' at best, though the swells were fairly close together, so maybe 'choppy, lumpy') we motored close to the coast until we were in line with the islands.

No chumming en-route so we didn't attract any seabirds to the boat. A heavy sea fog enveloped the islands from about 15 miles offshore and we laboured through that for some time. It was wonderful to see the islands looming out of the fog at a distance of about a half mile. We did a quick loop of the islands, had some lunch then set off back for the coast.

Apart from the fog offshore it was a wonderfully sunny day, the sea was relatively mild (until a Beaufort Force 6 wind got up while we were running back in a long the coast - great for the parasailers under the Bridge and the racing boats in the Bay - maybe not so much fun for those with 'tender' stomachs!!)

I got some good shots of the islands, the Bay and the Bridge on the way out and back - not a lot of birds close to boat so not many flight shots.

We were accompanied on the trip by the immensely knowledgeable Carol Keiper, Director of the Oikonos Ecosystem Knowledge, whose new premises she proudly pointed out as we motored past them. The MV Lovely Martha was skippered by a friendly and keen Irishwoman and her two young deckies looked after us with amusing anecdotes and stories all day long. The service was great and the crew deserved all of the tips they got at the end of the day - not quite the same as being on the Sandra K!!

A great day was had by all (well, apart from those suffering from seasickness) and I would strongly recommend it to anyone visiting San Francisco. We didn't see any of the Grey Whales that should usually be migrating at this time of year - choppy seas and fog may be to blame.

Cetaceans

Harbour Porpoise (10s)

Pinnipeds

California Sea Lion