canberrabirds

Help save bird habitats in the Central Molonglo Valley

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Help save bird habitats in the Central Molonglo Valley
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 21:44:03 +1000
Canberra birders:  I am sending this email on behalf of the COG Committee to seek your assistance in our efforts to save bird habitats in the Molonglo Valley.  We need you to send an email or letter NOW to relevant ACT Government politicians, and Commonwealth MPs for the ACT.  There is a list attached with contact details of the MLAs/MPs to write to and some words to use in a letter below.
regards
Jenny

The ACT Government is likely to decide the future development footprint of the Molonglo Valley in May   A background paper prepared by the Conservation Council with a vision for a conservation area in the Central Molonglo is attached.  COG and other environmental groups support this vision.  This area we want protected is broadly north of Coppins Crossing, west of William Hovell Drive and south of Drake-Brockman Drive in Belconnen, and incorporates what is known as the Kama woodland where the largest group of Brown Treecreepers known to occur close to the urban fringe still survives. See the map in the pdf file attached.

COG and other groups have not opposed urban development in the East Molonglo Valley which lies north of Weston Creek; this is largely former pine forest and degraded rural land. However, there are still concerns about some issues including development close to the river and the lake proposed by the planning authorities.

What is at stake?
A population of 13 species of birds of prey, unique so close to a capital city, including Wedge-tailed Eagle and Peregrine Falcon territories.
The last two breeding territories in the ACT of the Little Eagle, which COG has nominated for listing as threatened.
A population of threatened Brown Treecreepers, which won't survive with urban development surrounding them.
Significant impacts on bird and other wildlife corridors, eg from the Molonglo River through to Black Mountain/Aranda Bushland.
Endangered communities of Yellow Box-Red Gum Grassy woodlands and Natural Temperate Grassland.

Please send a letter or email, using the points below, adapted in your own words:

I am writing about the urban development proposals for the Molonglo Valley.

The Central Molonglo Valley should not be developed for housing, as this would destroy endangered woodlands and habitats for a number of threatened and declining bird species, including the Brown Treecreeper, the Superb Parrot and the Little Eagle, and will impact significantly on an important wildlife corridor.

The Little Eagle will be lost as a breeding species in the ACT, and the Brown Treecreeper population at the Kama woodland will not survive if the Central Molonglo is developed.

I want to see the habitats for a unique group of 13 species of birds of prey in the Valley and threatened woodland birds protected.  I want a viable wildlife corridor maintained from the Molonglo River through to the Pinnacle NR, Aranda Bushland and Black Mountain.

I support the Conservation Council of the South-east Region & Canberra’s proposal for the protection of endangered ecosystems and threatened birds in the Central Molonglo Valley.
signed

XXXXXX