canberrabirds

Public Lecture: Gisela Kaplan & magpies

To: <>
Subject: Public Lecture: Gisela Kaplan & magpies
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 00:05:02 +1000
Thanks Tony for alerting us of this. It was an almost full house of interested public, including relatively few COG members. This was a most interesting presentation and I am glad I went along. (Even with the 3 hours of travel by bus to get there and back home again.)

I am now a little more believing that the behaviour of the magpie is rather more special than just another of our many native birds with mimicry ability. I would not have thought that the magpie would be so accurate in mimicry of things including dog, person, horse and several birds including curiously the Barking Owl.