canberrabirds

Corellas & Peaceful Doves at Tuggeranong Town Park

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Corellas & Peaceful Doves at Tuggeranong Town Park
From: "Harvey Perkins" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:57:49 +1000
HI all,

Last Thursday afternoon (5 April) I was at Tuggeranong Town Park throwing a frisbee with James, and of course doing some bird watching while there. The sound of Little Corellas was pervasive, and when we checked it out I counted 127 of them, intermingled with galahs, feeding on the oval near the tennis courts. I think the corellas have been around the area for a while now, but this is by far the largest number I've seen there.

Even more interesting was a couple (pair?) of Peaceful Doves feeding quietly on the ground on top of the grassy knoll/ridge that extends out between the play area and the more southern parts of the lake. I know of several woodland areas in the ACT where this species can be found, but this is the first I'm aware of  Peaceful Doves in such an urbanised area. They were very wary (couldn't approach closer than about 25 m without them flying off) and I'm pretty sure they are wild birds rather than escapees. I went back again to check on Monday morning and they were still in the same area - and still just as wary.

Harvey