canberrabirds

Pied Butcherbrids near Chapman

To: <>
Subject: Pied Butcherbrids near Chapman
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:39:09 +1000
The highlight of my dog walking exercise this morning around the NW end of Cooleman Ridge was first hearing pied butcherbirds, including at one stage two responding to each other, and then clearly seeing one adult as it harassed a brown falcon (along with lots of magpies).  This bird then continued to call, usually only a short rendition, but longer on a couple of occasions.

Certainly my first record of this species here in over 30 years, and an addition to the recent records in the ACT, no doubt drought related.

As I'll be out for much of the weekend anyone wishing to find these birds should park at the end of Kathner St Chapman, and follow the track past the dam.  They were first heard about 100 m past this, but the bird seen then mobbed the falcon further down the hill (100 m) to the right, and moved further down into the horse paddocks, from where it was last heard calling.

Jack Holland