canberrabirds

Mimicry by Magpie & other matters

Subject: Mimicry by Magpie & other matters
From: Paul Tyerman <>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 10:08:01 +1000
At 02:31 PM 7/04/2007, you wrote:
Hi Barbara,

Sure, this story shows the potential. However learning to copy sounds, in the situation where a baby bird is imprinted on humans and deprived of learning its own species calls from its parents, is a different process from that of an adult bird copying a random range of other bird calls and using it as subsong mimicry. Just as many parrots raised by people will copy words but wild parrots don't mimic.

Howdy All,

A few years ago we had a young (wild) Magpie that wandered around constantly chattering to itself in various birdsongs etc.  There were kookaburras, rosellas, mobile phone, car alarm (I'm not exaggerating, there were distinctly two different alarms/phones).  It was a constant part of it's repertoire, sounding like one of those senile older people who wander around talking to themselves constantly.  This bird was still only just getting the black plumage of an adult, so it obviously learnt it all at a young age.  We still hear it, or others like it around our place.  Definitely a wild bird, and definitely mimicing bird and other sounds as part of it's song.

Other things to report...... other than one adult male in full plumage high up in a gum tree years ago, we had the first ever Golden Whistlers I had seen here in our street yesterday.  There were 2 of them, neither of them in male adult plumage.  Going through the bird book they were apparently golden whistlers, both in appearance and song.  Very cool to see them, although would love to see a full plumage male one of these days down where I can get a good look at it. <grin>  Blue wrens were wandering through the remains of a banksia rose (we dug it out years ago but left the remains that had grown onto the roof of out garden shed.  Even dead, the birds just love wandering through it so I didn't have the heard to remove it.) as well as some silver eyes and thornbills (I think).  This is the first real signs of any of the smaller birds since currawongs moved into our area a couple of weeks ago.  With the currawongs here we have had a significant drop in parrots and smaller birds in our garden.  The currawongs just seem to be breeding out of control here, destroying so many of the other birds! <sigh>  I miss all the little ones.

Cheers.

Paul Tyerman
Higgins, ACT
******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, email <>