canberrabirds

thrush sighting

To: <>
Subject: thrush sighting
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:04:33 +1100
Hi Peter,

David is correct. Although that on balance of probability, it is more likely to be a Blackbird, does not entirely rule out the possibility of it being a Bassian Thrush instead. We do rarely get the Bassian Thrush in Canberra gardens (not just ANBG). Specifically, there were 11 GBS records within the first 21 years of the GBS, all between December and June. However you wrote "I did not get a good view of the patterning on its breast" so it would be very hard to be convincing either way. Another point is from that there are four far more relevant books, than is Pizzey & Knight, available on birds of Canberra. These give far better (more local knowledge) on which you can get data of the status (and in one case something on the identification of our birds).

These are:

Taylor, M. & Canberra Ornithologists Group 1992, Birds of the ACT: an Atlas. Canberra Ornithologists Group and National Capital Planning Authority, Canberra.

Taylor, M. & Day, N. 1993, Field Guide to the Birds of the ACT. National Parks Association of the ACT, Canberra.

Veerman, P. A. 2003, Canberra Birds: A Report on the first 21 years of the Garden Bird Survey. Philip Veerman, Canberra.

Wilson, S. 1999, Birds of the ACT: two centuries of change. Canberra Ornithologists Group, Canberra.