canberrabirds

New Holland Honeyeater: O'Connor

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>, "'martin butterfield'" <>
Subject: New Holland Honeyeater: O'Connor
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:28:55 +1100
That sort of analysis is sort of useful. Such a list would be really useful if every site and suburb had been equally surveyed by equally competent and dedicated observers over every year of the survey (GBS) but that is FAR from the real situation. The issue is that, like most GBS information, it needs to be taken within a context. That is why I have provided a context. The Appendix 5 of my GBS Report lists the number of sites and charts completed for the GBS for each suburb and has the suburbs sorted geographically. Also Appendix 3 of my GBS Report lists the statistics from each site (and gives the name of the suburb for each site). This is of course for the first 21 years but the same principle applies regardless of the number of years considered. There is a need to not take bits of these data in isolation.

p.s. Gleneagles is included in Appendices 3 & 5. I'd suggest it is really part of Kambah (on the Kambah Pool Road) but sufficiently separate in habitat and distance to warrant its own category. It is no surprise that being so close to suitable habitat on the Murrumbidgee Corridor that they are a frequent attendee on the GBS list from there.

p.p.s. Martin says "In total they have appeared on 176 sheets" and no doubt that is true but does not say out of many charts there have been included in the 25 years of GBS. So to continue the context, 23 of these records must have been in the last four years, in that there were 153 records from the 1316 charts in the first 21 years, being that which has been compiled, analysed and published. (A record being a bird at a site on a year.)