canberrabirds

Tales of the currawong food factory and some more pleasant obs

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Tales of the currawong food factory and some more pleasant obs
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:30:09 +1100
Hi All
A couple of weeks ago I think I reported on crested pigeons nesting in a shrub on the nature strip outside my office window. All went along well, though a pair of currawongs that had nested in a neighbour's garden were frequently feeding their offspring only a few metres away, mostly in the hakea directly outside my office window. On Tuesday the two young CPs and their parents were happily in large shrubs about 10 metres from the nest, and I had good views of feeding and preening from my office window. However, on Wednesday there was only one young CP, and a few feathers around (may be from something else). The remaining young is still being fed, and has not moved far (that I'm aware of). The young currawong has not been around for about a week now, but the two parents were stalking the CPs like wolves for a good hour yesterday. The two parent CPs were perched on either side of their offspring, very close, and softly cooing - they seemed quite fearful. The currwongs moved up and down branches on either side of the CPs, constantly glaring at them, making the odd flap, but not getting closer than about 2 metres. Eventually the currawongs seemed to have got sick of their game, and flew off. They have been back, but I have not noticed any such blatant stalking behaviour since. At the moment (5.00 pm Friday) the young CP is in the same spot as usual, with no parent CPs or currawongs about. . . .
Other notes: lots of lovely birds about - our locally resident Eastern Spinebills enjoying all the correas, pair of grey fantails frequently around, good sized flocks of fairy wrens and striated thornbills around every day (the thornbills often appearing to be interacting with their reflections in my office window - singing to themselves, and I get the impression they are singing to me!). There has been a rufous fantail and a female golden whistler passing through over the past week, and some other birds about their size range that I (with my lack of experience) have not been able to recognise in the heavy foliage.  We also have king parrots (M&F) around every day.
cheers
Barbara
Barbara Preston Research
ABN 18 142 854 599