canberrabirds

Tallaganda/Monga - 3 March

Subject: Tallaganda/Monga - 3 March
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:55:05 +1100

I spent Saturday driving around Monga and Tallaganda National Parks. I
drove to Monga via the Kings Hwy then drove the loop road stopping at
various locations. I then drove back to Canberra via the
Braidwood-Captain's Flat Rd stopping on the Tallaganda range.

Birding highlights in Tallaganda included a hotspot at around 1200m which
produced the following:
2 Lewin's Honeyeaters. Both used a contact call I have never previously
heard and is not described in HANZAB as far as I can tell. 1 bird was an
immature or possibly a juvenile bird and called repeatedly, the adult
answered less often. Although I did not see the adult feed the other bird
it did at one point seem to show the other bird how to feed on a certain
seed it was extracating from a shrub.
1 Pilotbird. Affording good views while giving alarm call. I have recorded
breeding at this site in previous years.
2 Eastern Whipbirds. Pair.
1 Rufous Fantail.
1 Superb Lyrebird. Seen and heard calling.
1 Black-faced Monarch. Seen and heard calling at Parkers Gap Forest
Preserve.
1 Wedge-tailed Eagle. Overhead.
and a very large Red-bellied Black Snake which I was alerted to by the
resident Scrubwrens and Thornbills.

I was very disappointed with the amount of illegal firewood removal which
seems to be taking place at this site.

Monga produced:
1 Bassian Thrush.
2 Pilotbirds. Birds at 2 locations allowing good views and also giving
alarm calls briefly.
2 Eastern Shrike-tit.
1 Olive Whistler.
1+ Brown Gerygone.
many Crescent Honeyeaters and Eastern Spinebills feeding in flowering
trees.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Programme GENESIS
Australian Electoral Commission

Ph:   02 6271 4465
Fax: 02 6271 4644
Email:

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.