canberrabirds

Fwd: Birds in Backyards - photos needed

Subject: Fwd: Birds in Backyards - photos needed
From: COG Lists Manager <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:42:30 +1100
From: "Birds Australia Membership" <>
To: <>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:57:41 +1100

Dear Birds Australia members,

The Birds in Backyards Program needs photographs of good bird gardens and we are hoping some of you can help.

The program is nearing completion of its Best Practice Guidelines for Urban Bird Habitat, and we are looking for photos of bird-friendly gardens to feature in it. These Guidelines, while being aimed primarily at local governments, urban planners, developers etc, will also be appropriate for individuals.  They are based on scientific research undertaken throughout Australia on urban avifauna and habitat and are being edited by both a scientific and a reference committee.  This makes them unique in Australia and we are hoping they will influence change in many local government development activities as well as individuals working in their home gardens.  They will be available from the Birds in Backyards website www.birdsinbackyards.net by the middle of this year.

In particular we are looking for gardens that are either ?messy? or ?neat?, predominantly, but not necessarily exclusively, use locally native plant species, creating lots of structure. We are also looking for photos of hedges that have been created using native plants.  As Australia is such a diverse country, and the principals of the Guidelines will be adaptable to a broad range of this diversity, it would be great if we could find examples of bird attracting gardens from a broad range of habitats and locations.

If you have a great garden that fits any of these criteria and don?t mind submitting a photo or two please email it to . We need to know the name of the photographer to acknowledge them under the photo and also the suburb and city or location in which the photo was taken. A few details about what you have done to create your garden or interesting birds you have visiting would also be appreciated, as well as some notes about the plants you have used, or the plants that are most successful.

Many thanks,

Holly

Holly Parsons

Project Officer