canberrabirds

All happening

To: <>
Subject: All happening
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 09:31:32 +1100

Yesterday the next door neighbour was in her bedroom with the window open when a kookaburra flew in and hit her on the back of the head.   This is the same neighbour who, as I reported at the time, was sitting on our deck when she was struck in the face by a low-flying King Parrot.  I wouldn’t want to stand too close to her when the peacocks are flying around the neighbourhood (which they still are, coming by every few days).

Something, perhaps lack of food, might be affecting the kookas.  A couple of weeks ago the neighbour on the other side found a young one dead in his swimming pool, apparently drowned after being unable to get out, the pool being lower than normal due to the restrictions.

The kookaburras have had one food-source denied them since I put netting over our fish pond.  The self-regenerating goldfish stocks had declined sharply, the coloured ones going first and most of the remainder being black ones.  Evolution at work.

Food has been short also for the magpies.  I took to occasional feeding of the local family because I thought their scruffy single young was otherwise unlikely to survive.  This year worms and grubs are v scarce, lawns being a bit on the dryish side, and the usual seasonal flush of beetles did not occur.  If I was a parental magpie I wouldn’t know what to train a young bird to eat.  Probably scraps from picnickers and focaccia-nibbers.   It is pleasant to get their little chortle of gratitude when I toss them something.

The scrubwrens in the backyard have emerged from their well-concealed nest.  They are certainly a noisy lot, ‘tzee-it’s and ‘tiz-tiz-tiz-it’s echoing in the shrubbery.  Do you recall that talk by Dirk Platzen a couple of years ago about the amazingly varied vocabulary of this species?  Apparently there are different sounds for ‘the currawong is in the Banksia marginata’ and ‘the currawong is on the ground near the rock border’.  Well round here they’re probably saying ‘the Siamese cat from over the road won’t come in right now because the bull-terrier cross is sunning itself on the back deck’.

Speaking of currawongs, this morning was the first of the seasonal massed currawong symphonic series, with over a hundred of them giving voice up and down the street.  They’ve been going for an hour and are only now drifting off.

Finally, allow me to give a negative koel report.  Haven’t heard one for a month.  Before and just after Christmas, however, one could be heard every day in the little reserve between La Perouse and Carstenz.   This is flanked by Old Griffith backyards, full of ancient prunus, apricot and loquat trees and scrawny underachieving grape vines.  These provide the fruit which presumably is attracting the species to Canberra.  I was interested to note in the birds in backyards website that the koel is said to be commonest, in the Sydney area, in the south-west suburbs, being 7th there in the list of most-recorded birds.  The south-west is also the main haunt of the Spotted Turtledove.