canberrabirds

bird strikes at Canberra Airport - again

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: bird strikes at Canberra Airport - again
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:19:10 +1100
some interesting info on bird strikes generally in Australia (not specific to Canberra)
the bird most often struck is a hawk (156 strikes recorded 1991-2001), but the eagle is no.1 on the hazard scale, with over 50% of strikes involving eagles (38 strikes) recorded) resulting in  damage to planes - but ibis and duck are 2 and 3 on the hazard list (hazard being calculated on number of strikes and likelihood of damage)
It does point out that some other birds are potentially more of a problem, but are seldom struck by planes - pelicans have been responsible for fatalities in a helicopter-pelican altercation , but the actual number of strikes is low.
Canberra has a very low rate of bird strikes(1.89 per 10,000 plane movements) - only Sydney and Perth among the sizeable airports have lower rates.  Highest rate is Alice Springs, at 10.97 strikes per 10,000 plane movements
the 5 birds most frequently involved in bird strikes in Australia are hawks, galahs, plovers, gulls and magpies.

(also found reference to an incident at Canberra airport in 2001 when an Ansett plane had to be grounded when a fox was sucked into the engine!)

Sandra Henderson
Manager, Research, Coordination Support Branch
National Library of Australia
CANBERRA  ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6262 1481
Fax: +61 2 6273 2545