canberrabirds

Southern Boobook

Subject: Southern Boobook
From: Gina Wyatt <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:21:36 +1100 (EST)
Thankyou all for the assistance in identifying the owl and information on the calls.

This:

   "Nestlings and fledglings used the cricket-like Trill call (food begging). Fledglings often called in this way for the entire one hour observation, and often while flying from perch to perch"

taken from the Olsen, Trost and Hayes paper, is a perfect description of the call and behaviour we observed.

I'm thinking of roaming back up the hill tonight to see if I can't spot them again...this week has also seen the return of superb wrens to our backyard after an absence of about a year and a half. I'm having a good week.