canberrabirds

Jervis Bay - Ground Parrot, Bristlebird, Sq-tailed Kite, Glossy B-Cockat

Subject: Jervis Bay - Ground Parrot, Bristlebird, Sq-tailed Kite, Glossy B-Cockatoo
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:06:27 +1100

We spent several days (4-6 Jan) at Huskisson by Jervis Bay. Birding
highlights were flushing a Ground Parrot from heath in NSW Jervis Bay NP
near Hyams Beach. I had barely taken 5 steps from the car, parked by a busy
road, and was the easiest Ground Parrot I had ever found. Also here
Southern Emu-wren and Eastern Bristlebird (up to 4 birds heard).

While kicking back on the back verandah in Huskisson on Saturday we looked
up to see a Square-tailed Kite soaring just above the house. Several Common
Koels called day and night. At the Booderee NP visitor's centre 5 noisy
Glossy Black-Cockatoos flew over. That night we found at least 2 Boobooks
hunting in Booderee NP. Variegated Fairy-wrens were very common wherever we
went.

Unfortunately we dipped on seeing any Fairy Penguins despite waiting at
Murrays Beach until after dusk and sitting above the cliffs at Governor
Head overlooking Bowen Island the next afternoon. We did however get great
close-up views of a Whistling Kite and a mature Sea-Eagle.

Non-birding highlights were the large number of reef sharks close to the
beach and a large stingray cruising past within metres of me while swimming
at Greenpatch. The mangrove boardwalk (Wirreecoo Walk) at the Huskisson
Maritime Museum is always worth a look as well. In the water were plenty of
huge Dusky Flathead, some reaching 1 metre in length.

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Gungahlin  ACT

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.