canberrabirds

Kellys and out of town

To: "COG list" <>
Subject: Kellys and out of town
From: "Frank Antram" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 20:16:57 +1100

The rain and hail today has brought back a few puddles to Kellys Swamp – a Buff-banded Rail was having a very lengthy and gleeful bath in one of them at about 6pm today – I swear I could see a grin on its face ;)

I spent Christmas Day and Boxing Day camping on a mate’s property adjacent to Bournda Nature Reserve, near Merimbula – highlights were Sooty Owl, White-throated Nightjar, Scarlet Honeyeater, and ‘lots’ of Crescent Honeyeaters.  I’ve now just returned from a couple of days in Sydney where, this morning, I was sitting on the deck of another mate’s place, just off Victoria Road, near the Top Ryde Shopping Centre (ie a very urban situation) when there was an enormous commotion in an adjacent conifer, with Noisy Miners and Magpies getting very upset about something.  I assumed there might be a Sparrowhawk in the tree but, when the culprit emerged, it was a Channel-billed Cuckoo!

Season’s greetings

Frank