canberrabirds

Frogmouths &: Feeding?

To: "canberra birds" <>
Subject: Frogmouths &: Feeding?
From: "Barbara Preston" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 11:05:16 +1100
Hi All
Frogmouth family in E. nicholii just beside the public footpath at our place (address below) - if anyone want to have a look (take a picture). The four of them are at eye level from my first floor office window (distract me from work a bit today . . .)

Re feeding - while it's a bit late for this year, it is worth while to plant trees & shrubs that are especially nectar-providing over the summer, and to allow a little more water to the summer-flowering shrubs. We have eastern spinebills (and wattle birds . . .) all year round, but, not sure how many more we could support.
Some suggestions (others would know much more than me - perhaps the list can be added to from those with expertise or who can add after checking their gardens:
Grevillea arenaria - label & books say 'compact, rounded shrub to 2.5 m' - ours is much taller and open, but it's mostly in shade. Flowers reliably all year (though more or less at different times), very attractive grey oval leaves, flowers soft yellow/green/red (subtle & pretty).
G. 'Bronze Rambler' and G. 'Poorinda Royal Mantle' (ground covers) also flower all year (esp former)
I'm still getting scattered flowers (and there are buds) on straggly G. Johnsonii and robust G. barklyana (the spinebills spend time around a group of these two plus other dense shrubs all year), and some others.
I know there are lots of other grevilleas that flower through the summer . . . Some callistemons (check labels) can flower on and off through the year, esp. in response to water (targeted watering . . .)
Our large Eucalyptus fastigata (Brown Barrel) is coming into flower now.
Angophora hispida (dwarf apple) flowers profusely in January, and attracts insects (a very mature, twisted one in the Botanic Gardens) - I plan to plant one next year because of its flowering time.
We have several young proteas currently in bud (late Jan + flowers) - but not sure how usual this is (I have not checked).
cheers
Barbara
__________________________________
Barbara Preston Research